602Re: Saints in SA

  • ja3nf
    Mar 15, 2007
      -Unfortunately I have not succeed in getting the shipping and
      passengerlists information. I doubt if it still exist. I approached
      Dr A. Schulenberg about the names of companies which offered the
      Saints occupations during 1871 - 1873 but he too could not help. My
      g.grandfather and some of his family members (Thomas males) worked
      for the railways.
      I wonder why the school history books never mentioned that 2000 St
      Helenians immigrated to SA.
      June

      -- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "cryswil27"
      <cryswil27@...> wrote:

      > how did they arrive in cape town - via the RMS ST Helena? is there
      > passenger lists that we can check? and is there no "immigration
      > list"?
      > NB: I've also noted that "ADA" was a common name on St Helena
      Island

      > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "ja3nf" <nilfer@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "ja3nf" <nilfer@>
      > > wrote:
      > > Due to the economic depression on St Helena and the demand for
      > > labour in SA (from thr article Settlers and Slaves) led to the
      > > emigration of more than 2000 St Helenians to the Cape and Natal.
      > > Dr A. Schulenburg wrote "a large emigration took place in
      1871,
      > > 1872 & 1873 consequent on the change and reductions which
      followed
      > > on the opening of the Suez Canal. Emigrant vessels were
      dispatched
      > > to the Island from the Cape & Natal, inviting emigrants and
      > offering
      > > good employment in those Colonies to anyone who were disposed to
      > > avail themselves of it."
      > > The St Helenians settled in the Bo-Kaap, District Six,
      Athlone,
      > > Constantia, Rondebosch - Claremont area (Harfield Road), Paarl,
      > > Wellington, PE and East London. (maybe some of you can add more
      > > places)
      > > They brought with them their social security net and
      established
      > > several benifit societies for example The Independent Friendly
      > > Society (the building still stands in Wellington dated 1885),
      and
      > > the Odd Fellows. Unfortunately member lists of these societies
      > > cannot be found. Church records will be the best place to start.
      > > Surnames: Adams, Andersen, Andrews, Bailey, Benjamin, Chapman,
      > > Combrinck, Daniels, Davids, Davis, Fisher, Harris, Hector,
      Isaacs,
      > > Knipe, Martin, Meyer, Peters, Petersen, Reed, Richards,
      Robinson,
      > > Smith, Thomas, Ward, Watson, Williams tec..etc..were common.
      > > Prior to the 1948 Race Classification laws the Saints were
      proud
      > > to be British subjects and tried to keep their 'British
      identity'.
      > > The next generation dissolved into the South African society and
      > so
      > > did the history of 2000 Saints.What a pity!!!
      > > Unfortunately many old cemetaries are abused and neglected so
      > > hardly no info can be fetched there.
      > > I am sure many of you will be able to add more info to our
      > > subject.
      > > Keep well
      > > June Nielsen-Ferreira
      > > Denmark
      > >

      > > > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Beryl Segers

      > 1914.

      > > Helenian
      > > > family ended up in Claremont. My great grandparents and their
      > > > family also lived at various addresses in the Claremont and
      > > Newlands
      > > > areas. I have also gathered that there must have been a few
      St
      > > > Helenians living in the area and it would be interesting to
      know
      > > how
      > > > they ended up here.
      > knew
      > > > that this was where my great grandparents were married and
      where
      > > > their children were christened. Same goes for my gg mother's
      > > sister
      > > > and her family. It seems that most of the witnesses listed at
      > > these
      > > > events were either related and/or were originally from St
      Helena
      > > > too. Most of the witnesses also seemed to have attended this
      > > church
      > > > and so sometimes I could see their place of birth in the
      > records.
      > > > Some of the surnames that crop up in these records that may be
      > of
      > > > interest to this forum are Maggott, Bennett, Connolly and
      Yon.
      > > > There may be more - these are just the names that I happened
      > > pick
      > > > up on by looking at my family's records.

      > > > Harfield
      > > > Unfortunately
      > > > contact
      > uncle's
      > > > could

      > > > We are all looking for our ancestors and ask questions. Many
      > times
      > > > we do not get a response we are looking for, and we are at a
      > dead
      > > > ends. Maybe we should approach our search from another angle
      and
      > > > start another subject 'Saints in SA'. If we join forces we
      will
      > > > stumble over info that may be of interest to other members and
      > > > ourselves. Tell me if you are interested.
      > > > June

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic