601Re: Saints in SA

  • cryswil27
    Mar 14, 2007
      how did they arrive in cape town - via the RMS ST Helena? is there
      passenger lists that we can check? and is there no "immigration
      list"?
      NB: I've also noted that "ADA" was a common name on St Helena Island

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "ja3nf" <nilfer@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "ja3nf" <nilfer@>
      > wrote:
      > Due to the economic depression on St Helena and the demand for
      > labour in SA (from thr article Settlers and Slaves) led to the
      > emigration of more than 2000 St Helenians to the Cape and Natal.
      > Dr A. Schulenburg wrote "a large emigration took place in 1871,
      > 1872 & 1873 consequent on the change and reductions which followed
      > on the opening of the Suez Canal. Emigrant vessels were dispatched
      > to the Island from the Cape & Natal, inviting emigrants and
      offering
      > good employment in those Colonies to anyone who were disposed to
      > avail themselves of it."
      > The St Helenians settled in the Bo-Kaap, District Six, Athlone,
      > Constantia, Rondebosch - Claremont area (Harfield Road), Paarl,
      > Wellington, PE and East London. (maybe some of you can add more
      > places)
      > They brought with them their social security net and established
      > several benifit societies for example The Independent Friendly
      > Society (the building still stands in Wellington dated 1885), and
      > the Odd Fellows. Unfortunately member lists of these societies
      > cannot be found. Church records will be the best place to start.
      > Surnames: Adams, Andersen, Andrews, Bailey, Benjamin, Chapman,
      > Combrinck, Daniels, Davids, Davis, Fisher, Harris, Hector, Isaacs,
      > Knipe, Martin, Meyer, Peters, Petersen, Reed, Richards, Robinson,
      > Smith, Thomas, Ward, Watson, Williams tec..etc..were common.
      > Prior to the 1948 Race Classification laws the Saints were proud
      > to be British subjects and tried to keep their 'British identity'.
      > The next generation dissolved into the South African society and
      so
      > did the history of 2000 Saints.What a pity!!!
      > Unfortunately many old cemetaries are abused and neglected so
      > hardly no info can be fetched there.
      > I am sure many of you will be able to add more info to our
      > subject.
      > Keep well
      > June Nielsen-Ferreira
      > Denmark
      >

      > > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Beryl Segers
      > > <bmsegers@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Just wanted to add that my father was born in St Helena in
      1914.

      > > > Cheers
      > > > Beryl
      > > >
      > > > Labieqah Camroodien <labieqah@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > ja3nf <nilfer@> wrote: June,
      > > > Do you perhaps have any information on why/how your St
      > Helenian
      > > family ended up in Claremont. My great grandparents and their
      > > family also lived at various addresses in the Claremont and
      > Newlands
      > > areas. I have also gathered that there must have been a few St
      > > Helenians living in the area and it would be interesting to know
      > how
      > > they ended up here.
      > > > I have been to the St Saviour's Church in Claremont as I
> [...]
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic