585Re: strawberry lane, constantia

  • ja3nf
    Mar 13, 2007
      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "cryswil27"
      <cryswil27@...> wrote:

      > I am still trying to find out some informtion because what i heard
      was
      > sketchy: my grandfather remembered that my great-great-
      grandparents
      > lived in constantia at one point - so my aunt and i started
      visiting
      > the cemetries in contantia checking on gravestones to see if any
      of
      > our family members were buried there- but no luck. two weeks ago
      my
      > aunt decided to check the muslim / malay cemetry that is close to
      > strawberry lane and she met a gentleman in his late seventies- she
      > told him about her search and he too had family who lived in
      > constantia - strawberry lane constantia and his great-grandmother
      was
      > also from St - helena island - he took my aunt to other friends
      and
      > their siblings whose family also lived in strawberry lane - but
      the
      > thing is that these people are all almost 80 and they can't
      remember
      > all the details and mostly they know people by their nicknames -
      but
      > what they all said was that most of the people who lived in
      strawberry
      > lane at that time 1920 - 1945/50 all came from St helena island.
      this
      > particular gentleman remembered one of my great-grandfather's
      sisters -
      > and also remembered coming to visit other St helenian;s here in
      cape
      > town (bo kaap) with his grandmother.
      >
      > i went to the cape town national library friday past- but didn't
      find
      > a listing for strawberry lane in that time - hence my mail to get
      some
      > information- my search has been very frustrating because my great-
      > great-grandparents were coloured and it seems that coloureds
      records
      > weren't kept in that time - so everytime i get a lead and do the
      > search - it ends up fruitless. I have now emailed the wine farms
      > around strawberry lane to find out if they have any "employee
      > registers" of that time - to see if anything comes up!
      >
      > CRYSTAL
      > my In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "ja3nf" <nilfer@>
      wrote:

      > > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "cryswil27"
      <cryswil27@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > i have recently discovered (while searching my family tree) -
      there
      > > > there was a group of st helenian's who lived in strawberry
      lane,
      > > > constantia, cape town around 1920 - 1940. does this ring a
      bell for
      > > > anyone?
      > > > CRYSTAL
      > > >Hi Crystal, Will you please be so kind to tell us more about the
      > > Strawberry Lane St Helenians.
      > >
      > > June

      > >Hi Crystal,
      Thanks for responding. My grandfather, John Thomas lived in Harfield
      Road, Claremont. Quite many St Helenians lived there. Unfortunately
      the whereabouts of the St Helenians,in the Cape are not well
      recorded. Keep on asking and recording. I managed to get in contact
      (via this forum) in contact with my great-grandfather's uncle's
      offspring. It is abit far out but I received family photos and could
      see resemblances and name similarities. Happy hunting.
      June

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic