559RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Where are BMDs between 1835 and 1852?

  • Christine Adams
    Feb 15, 2007

      Films of the Marriage, Birth and Burial Registers of the Anglican Church, St. James Parish, St. Helena for the "gap" years are held at the following repository. They hold records for the LDS filmed years as well.

      Historical Papers, William Cullen Library, Archives of the Church of the Province of South Africa, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, S.A.

      According to a researcher who spent many hours reviewing the records in Witwatersrand, the parish records filmed by LDS for the East India Company years were the copies made under the aegis of the EIC, and sent back to London. The original records of those "copies" [are you still with me?] are at the British Library.

      It is possible to find variations between the LDS filmed records, and the original parish records. It's not something I would want to undertake on a broad scale, but if I had uncovered data about a person of interest from the EIC years, and the LDS film data either omits someone you KNOW should have been there, or the data doesn't agree with another source, I might contact the office in Witwatersrand, and request a transcription of their record. I'm quite sure there is a charge, but I've never used them, and can't say what it is, or how long a response might take.

      Search for grocery stores. Find gratitude. Turn a simple search into something more.
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic