522Heaven or Mealy on St Helena

  • rj.hayden
    Dec 17, 2006
      Still trying to find any information about a St Helenian woman called
      Isabella Heaven, nee Mealy.

      She was born Isabella Mealy (or Mealey) on St Helena in c1834-1838. I
      cannot find a record of her marriage within Britain and it seems
      likely that she married on St Helena.

      Her husband was Charles Heaven, a soldier. They appear back in
      England in the 1861 census, the first child being born in 1857 at the
      Chatham barracks in Kent.

      I wrote to the St Helena archivist about a month ago but haven't had
      any response. Is this usual? Although my sister has been to Ascension
      as part of her job I cannot personally afford to fly to St Helena to
      check the records.

      What other options are there? Are there records held in England for
      marriages and baptisms on the island, both before and after the
      introduction of civil registration in 1837?

      I feel genuinely stuck with this.

      Best wishes

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic