487Hillman family

  • kennedyjacquelyn
    Nov 22, 2006
      I am researching my husband's family - his great grandmother was Eliza
      Maria Hillman, born 5 February 1873 on St. Helena. Parents of Eliza
      were Henry and Jane Hillman. We were able to obtain this information
      from the Archivist in St. Helena, who sent us Birth/Marriage/Death
      records from the 1800's she found concerning the Hillman surname on
      the Island.

      Eliza married John William Anderson (Scottish) in Capetown, South
      Africa in 1885. Together they had 7 children; Eliza died one day
      after giving birth to her 7th child in 1910.

      At the time, the Archivist was unable to tell us whether the Hillmans
      on the island were White (European) or slaves (or a combination of
      both?). Also, does anyone know if there are any records that document
      persons leaving St. Helena to South Africa around that time period?

      I'm a novice researcher, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic