393Re: Thomas Hunter

  • Brian Hunter
    May 13 6:57 AM
      Hello Diana:

      Greetings on a  beautiful spring day, in  Lincolnshire:

      Thank you for replying to my posting.  It was a pleasure to hear of your connection with, your ancestor Ann Leech, of St Helena. ( What a co-incidence! )

      The Ann Leech  I refered to in my message was the daughter of Richard Leech and Jane Bagley. of St Helena.
       I  believe that , her husband, Thomas ( Orby) Hunter, born 1770  was the son of Sir Thomas Orby Hunter, bart.MP for Winchelsea and a Lord of the Admiralty,   but I have not found any documentary evidence to confirm this.

      Did you know that you can see the St Helena parish records on the Family Search site? Copy the following into your internet browser.

      Press return >
      Then at the bottom of  the family search form enter the Batch No.   7011904
      Select Region  Ocean Islands and Country  Atlantic Islands.
      Do not enter anything else or it will not work.
      Press return. > to see an alphabetical list of records.

      I obtained part of  the following information  in this way. Let me know if you have a problem with this.

      St Helena PR's

      Thomas Hunter ( Capt in St Helena Artillery)  marr. Ann Leech,  d/o Richard Leech and Jane Bagley,18 June 1787.
      Thomas Montgomery Hunter( Lieut St Helena Artillery)  s/o Thomas and Ann Hunter, bapt. 19 Feb 1792

      Thomas Montgomery Hunter marr. Pheobe Elizabeth Soloman, b. 20 May 1804,  d/o Saul Soloman ( 1776 - 1852)  and Margaret Lee,  on the 15 Oct 1823.

      Children born on St Helena.

      Ann Hunter b. 15 Dec 1824
      Montgomery Hunter, b. 11 Feb 1827,
      Highland Hunter (Fem) b. 27 Nov 1827
      Orby Montgomery Hunter b. 30 May 1833.( Later Lieut in Ceylon Rifles)
      Grace Hunter b 11ct 1834

      I think that most of these Hunters may have left St Helene before the 1841 census, but I cannot find where they went to.

      I do have records of Orby Hunters in Canada and the USA at a later date, but I cannot connect them with the lines which I have researched.

      Do you know if there are any burial records for St Helena, on line?
      It would help me in my search if if I could eliminate, those  Hunters who died on St Helena.  (I  do hope that does not sound too morbid.)

      I will let you know if I discover anyone connected to your Leech ancestors.

      Regards Brian Hunter