2104PURLE family

  • Barbara Crabb
    Jul 25, 2014
      This is what I know.

      My great grandfather was Josiah Thomas PURLE who was born on St Helena in about 1853. He married Annie  WHITCHER from Southampton, in Southampton 1876 and died in West Ham in 1918.

      His father was William John PURLE born about 1820, who I believed married Caroline EDDLESTONE in 1852 on St Helena.  I also believe she was born on St Helena in 1834 and her parents were Caroline and James Isache EDDLESTONE (or similar spelling) and she died in Cardiff in 1910.

      There was also a sister to Josiah, Elizabeth born in 1863 in James Town, St Helena, who married a Henry E.G. Rahn and died in Corwall in 1934.  They had a son Henry in Colchester about 1884.

      I have the UK 1881 census ( Josiah is not on it, I assume he was at sea), 1891 1901 1911 census for Annie and Josiah and also their marriage cert.

      I would very much like to know more about the family on St Helena and when and how family members came to the UK.  I assume Josiah came to England on a ship to Southampton (He was a ships steward on the 1891 census). And if the PURLE and/or EDDLESTONE family originated in the UK. Does anyone have any relevant info, or can direct me to how I can find out more.

      Thanks Babs (Wales)