      To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      From: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 15:00:37 +0100
      Subject: RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Slave information

      Richard, I am not going to be much help. I have looked through most of the consultations for St Helena between 1790 and 1835 – skimmed rather than read - to pick out general info on slaves.  The comments I have made re naming is my interpretation of what was going on – I have seen no document that specifically describes a naming convention. You are probably right in your assumptions but basically your guess is as good as mine. I have seen no evidence that slaves were systematically named after their owners (although some may have been) – as everywhere else in the world, naming was often at the whim of the first owner – could be a day of the week, or month – January, March eg or classical names – Hercules, Neptune, Bacchus, Cato, Caesar, or even names of the ship or port they arrived on/from – Pompey, London, Worcester. At the Cape derogatory names were sometimes chosen although there is little evidence of this on St Helena – possibly Tom Toe or Maggott but that is by no means certain. More than not is was just a name and no more and it seems possible even that names were changed when ownership changed. It is very odd that there are a number of names on the 1839 list that do not appear on the 1827 list which is very strange indeed.

      Someone else was asking about Des Fountain and its alternative spellings. When looking at the handwritten records it is very difficult to be sure about a De and a Des – the curve of e’s can end with a slight reverse line and it is not easy to determine whether this is intentional or not. Likewise Desfountain or De Fountain can also be difficult when seen written. I think there were two related families and possibly they made a slight variation of their name to distinguish one from the other especially when they had the same first name. It has always been difficult to be certain as  what seems the same person can be written in different ways. Also, it has to be remembered that many of the documents in the BL are copies of letters received and not the originals and the scribes no doubt had the same problem. There are a surprising numbers of errors in the records as you will see if you look at my comments regarding the muster lists.

      Regards

      Colin

      Date: 1801 - 1823 Source: Access to Archives (A2A): not kept at The National Archives

      ·  Information relating to document ref. no. IOR/F/4/1230/40259

      Claim of John De Fountain for remuneration on account of the loss of the services of his slave George Howlett, now a convict - he is granted an allowance of 4d a day by the St Helena Government - case of William Williams, another slave of De Fountain's
      Date: 1825 - 1830 Source: Access to Archives (A2A): not kept at The National Archives

      ·  Information relating to document ref. no. IOR/F/4/1265/50889

      The St Helena Government expend the sum of £5,550 to secure the manumission of 124 slaves - they request the Court of Directors to allow Captain George Andrew Den Taaffe to receive a salary for his work as Reporter of Slave Emancipations.. [British Library
      Date: 1826 - 1831 Source: Access to Archives (A2A): not kept at The National Archives

      ·  Information relating to document ref. no. IOR/F/4/1264/50880

      Further papers regarding the gradual abolition of slavery on St Helena - proposal of Government to buy the manumission of one fifth of the slaves each year, etc. (includes list of slaves for 1827/28 giving slave's name, name of owner, age, monetary value,
      Date: 1819 - 1828 Source: Access to Archives (A2A): not kept at The National Archives

      ·  Information relating to document ref. no. IOR/F/4/866/22826

      Award of medals to meritorious slaves at St Helena (includes lists of the slaves with the names of their owners). [British Library Collections, India Office Records]
      Date: 1824 - 1826 Source: Access to Archives (A2A): not kept at The National Archives

      ·  Information relating to document ref. no. IOR/F/4/1313/52394A

      Further papers regarding the gradual abolition of slavery on St Helena (includes a list of slaves, dated 9 Jul 1832, giving names of owners and monetary value, pp 62-63, and a memorial from 62 proprietors suggesting that emancipation should be completed
      Date: 1831 - 1832 Source: Access to Archives (A2A): not kept at The National Archives

      ·  Information relating to document ref. no. IOR/F/4/804/21570

      Medals and pecuniary rewards are granted to meritorious slaves at St Helena.. [British Library Collections, India Office Records] Letters concerning Torbett and money for N’s grave. Gaol regs
      Date: 1802 - 1824 Source: Access to Archives (A2A): not kept at The National Archives

      ·  Information relating to document ref. no. IOR/F/4/1373/54693

      Further papers regarding the emancipation of slaves on St Helena - one quarter of the remaining slave population are emancipated by lot on 29 April 1833 (includes a list of the 124 emancipated slaves, with the names of their owners, and the amount of compensation
      Date: 1685 - 1833 Source: Access to Archives (A2A): not kept at The National Archives

      ·  Information relating to document ref. no. IOR/F/4/861/22781

      Question of the measures to be taken for the gradual abolition of slavery on St Helena, (includes a list of slave owners who are prepared to emancipate their slaves under certain conditions, pp 1057-60). [British Library Collections, India Office Records
      Date: 1633 - 1825 Source: Access to Archives (A2A): not kept at The National Archives

      ·  Information relating to document ref. no. IOR/F/4/766/20734

      Measures taken to ameliorate the condition of the slave population at St Helena.. [British Library Collections, India Office Records]
      Date: 1698 - 1824 Source: Access to Archives (A2A): not kept at The National Archives

      ·  Information relating to document ref. no. IOR/F/4/804/21593

      Improvement in the condition of the slave population at St Helena - 500 children receiving a religious education etc.. [British Library Collections, India Office Records]
      Date:
      1633 - 1825 Source: Access to Archives (A2A): not kept at The National Archives

      I know of no other source of general information. The Quarter Session Books which record details of crimes do have some individual slaves named but it is hit and miss whether anyone can trace their ancestors from them Only the 1791-1793 period is available at the BL under shelfmark IOR/G/32/97  - all the others Session books are on the island. Another problem is that slaves brought to the island were generally only given a first name. It was only the second generation that mostly had second names – eg a slave (or several slaves) may have the name ‘March’ and would be referred to in the records as say Mr Brabazon’s March against another March who may be say Dr Kay’s March. Slave ownership varied as slaves were often bought and sold so it is extremely difficult in many case to track down an individual. Children of these slaves used their father’s name as their last name so March’s children might be say John March. This clearly makes it easier to identify individuals.

      Hope this helps a little

      Regards

      Colin Fox