208Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Saints to South Africa

  • A.H.Schulenburg
    May 10 11:49 AM
      The following is an extract from my 1999 Pd.D. thesis:

      Emigration did, however, become a significant aspect of the population history of St Helena from about 1838 onwards.  Largely as a knock-on effect of the Crown's take-over of the island in 1836 and the consequent reduction in general expenditure and salaries, the colony's 'Blue Book' for 1839, notes that "the year previous […] an extensive emigration of the lower classes took place to the Cape of Good Hope".  Likewise, according to the official census report for 1881 "a large emigration [...] took place in 1871, 1872, and 1873 consequent on the change and reductions which followed on the opening of the Suez Canal.  Emigrant vessels were dispatched to this Island from the Cape and Natal, inviting emigrants and offering good employment in those Colonies to any who were disposed to avail themselves of it." Although the scheme came to an end in May 1874, St Helenians continued to arrive in South Africa throughout the nineteenth century.

      I have researched St Helenian emigration to the Cape and to Natal in great detail, but due to time constraints have to date been unable to write this up.

      For those who read Afrikaans, I recommend the following article::

      P.A. Erasmus, ''St. Helenas' aan die Kaap: Migrasie, Uitbuiting en Assilasie', South African Journal of Ethnology, Vol.17 (1994)

      Best regards,
      Alexander Schulenburg