2072Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Slave information

  • Richard Vickery
    Jun 29, 2014
      Thank You Colin,

      It's all coming back to me now. I have seen a version of your list floating about somewhere. I am a member so I have just looked through your documents. Thanks for confirming the naming protocol. It was as I hypothesised and I can now cite you good self to the family members also chasing my John Francis Young. I have long considered the possibility that he was born John Francis and picked up Young after the fact.  I see your example of slave ref #14 Yon Thomas referred to as Thomas Yon.

      +     Could "the young John Francis" have become John Francis Young when he jumped ship in Australia. I think I can place him in Bendigo at about 20 or younger and it is unusual, is it not, for St Helenans to have middle names?

      +     If my quarry was said to have been born/baptised about 1834/35 and on marrying in 1880 on the Victorian goldfields declaring his age to be 46, his father to be Joseph Young and his mother Sarah Francis is it still within the time frame for him to have been documented under the surname of the slave owner?

      +     What of his mother Sarah, were there slave owners named Francis? I notice from your 1839 alpha listing that the character of some of the Francis's does not bear well.

      These are what form my quest.

      Thanks and regards
      richard

      On 30 June 2014 02:29, 'Colin Fox' colin@... [st-helena-genealogy] <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Richard, the information in T/4248: long papers, bundle 720 has been transcribed (by me) and is available to members of the Friends of St Helena: http://sthelena.uk.net

      If you log on and go to ‘slave ancestors’ and then look at ‘slaves listed alphabetically by name in 1839’ it will download a pdf of the complete file. Actually these people were no longer slaves – they had all been freed by this time- the list is actually an account of loaned money outstanding and does not provide much in the way of family history. The main interest is how these people had fared since they had achieved their freedom – sadly not very well.

      Members also have access to the 1827 valuation list (also transcribed by me) from Brit Library India Office Records IOR/F/4/1264 and also repeated in G/32/92. (The F series are compilations of items with a similar theme – F/4/ is exclusively slave info. If you go to the BL and look at these volumes, ignore the 5 number digit at the end – it is just a folio number – it is the IOR/F/4/NNNN that you need to order).  You cannot take photos of these pages or photocopy them. You can order digital photographs on a cd at a rate of 100 pages for about £35.

      Information relating to document ref. no. IOR/F/4/710/19297

        Miscellaneous papers relating to the administration of St. Helena - measures taken to ameliorate the condition of the slave population - regulations regarding the consumption of Cape wine etc. etc. (includes a printed copy of the Proceedings of the St.
      Date: 1801 - 1823 Source: Access to Archives (A2A): not kept at The National Archives

      ·  Information relating to document ref. no. IOR/F/4/1230/40259

      Claim of John De Fountain for remuneration on account of the loss of the services of his slave George Howlett, now a convict - he is granted an allowance of 4d a day by the St Helena Government - case of William Williams, another slave of De Fountain's
      Date: 1825 - 1830 Source: Access to Archives (A2A): not kept at The National Archives

      ·  Information relating to document ref. no. IOR/F/4/1265/50889

      The St Helena Government expend the sum of £5,550 to secure the manumission of 124 slaves - they request the Court of Directors to allow Captain George Andrew Den Taaffe to receive a salary for his work as Reporter of Slave Emancipations.. [British Library
      Date: 1826 - 1831 Source: Access to Archives (A2A): not kept at The National Archives

      ·  Information relating to document ref. no. IOR/F/4/1264/50880

      Further papers regarding the gradual abolition of slavery on St Helena - proposal of Government to buy the manumission of one fifth of the slaves each year, etc. (includes list of slaves for 1827/28 giving slave's name, name of owner, age, monetary value,
      Date: 1819 - 1828 Source: Access to Archives (A2A): not kept at The National Archives

      ·  Information relating to document ref. no. IOR/F/4/866/22826

      Award of medals to meritorious slaves at St Helena (includes lists of the slaves with the names of their owners). [British Library Collections, India Office Records]
      Date: 1824 - 1826 Source: Access to Archives (A2A): not kept at The National Archives

      ·  Information relating to document ref. no. IOR/F/4/1313/52394A

      Further papers regarding the gradual abolition of slavery on St Helena (includes a list of slaves, dated 9 Jul 1832, giving names of owners and monetary value, pp 62-63, and a memorial from 62 proprietors suggesting that emancipation should be completed
      Date: 1831 - 1832 Source: Access to Archives (A2A): not kept at The National Archives

      ·  Information relating to document ref. no. IOR/F/4/804/21570

      Medals and pecuniary rewards are granted to meritorious slaves at St Helena.. [British Library Collections, India Office Records] Letters concerning Torbett and money for N’s grave. Gaol regs
      Date: 1802 - 1824 Source: Access to Archives (A2A): not kept at The National Archives

      ·  Information relating to document ref. no. IOR/F/4/1373/54693

      Further papers regarding the emancipation of slaves on St Helena - one quarter of the remaining slave population are emancipated by lot on 29 April 1833 (includes a list of the 124 emancipated slaves, with the names of their owners, and the amount of compensation
      Date: 1685 - 1833 Source: Access to Archives (A2A): not kept at The National Archives

      ·  Information relating to document ref. no. IOR/F/4/861/22781

      Question of the measures to be taken for the gradual abolition of slavery on St Helena, (includes a list of slave owners who are prepared to emancipate their slaves under certain conditions, pp 1057-60). [British Library Collections, India Office Records
      Date: 1633 - 1825 Source: Access to Archives (A2A): not kept at The National Archives

      ·  Information relating to document ref. no. IOR/F/4/766/20734

      Measures taken to ameliorate the condition of the slave population at St Helena.. [British Library Collections, India Office Records]
      Date: 1698 - 1824 Source: Access to Archives (A2A): not kept at The National Archives

      ·  Information relating to document ref. no. IOR/F/4/804/21593

      Improvement in the condition of the slave population at St Helena - 500 children receiving a religious education etc.. [British Library Collections, India Office Records]
      Date:
      1633 - 1825 Source: Access to Archives (A2A): not kept at The National Archives

      I know of no other source of general information. The Quarter Session Books which record details of crimes do have some individual slaves named but it is hit and miss whether anyone can trace their ancestors from them Only the 1791-1793 period is available at the BL under shelfmark IOR/G/32/97  - all the others Session books are on the island. Another problem is that slaves brought to the island were generally only given a first name. It was only the second generation that mostly had second names – eg a slave (or several slaves) may have the name ‘March’ and would be referred to in the records as say Mr Brabazon’s March against another March who may be say Dr Kay’s March. Slave ownership varied as slaves were often bought and sold so it is extremely difficult in many case to track down an individual. Children of these slaves used their father’s name as their last name so March’s children might be say John March. This clearly makes it easier to identify individuals.

      Hope this helps a little

      Regards

      Colin Fox