      Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 3:02 PM
      Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Young Family

      Hi All,

      I am updating this post as I think I have had a breakthrough. In 1855 three St Helenans were working the gold fields of Bendigo (Sandhurst) in Victoria Australia;

      Hugh Darke Northam born 04 Jul 1825 to Thomas Northam St Helena Artillery and Catherine McCarrol
      India Office record N/6/3 f. 15

      James Lawrence reference unknown but a choice of
      James Jacob Lawrence born 8 Jul 1823 to William & Sarah  Ref N/6/2 f.226 OR
      James Samuel Lawrence born 13 Jul 1831 to William & Sarah Ref N/6/3 f.149

      My great grandfather (I believe to be there)
      John Francis Young born 1835 approx to Joseph Young & Sarah Francis

      In the gold fields the diggers lived  in tents on the field next to their lease. Some people worked as teams and that partner was referred to as their mate. Modern Australian usage refers to a mate as a friend. In this case Northam and Lawrence appeared to work the same claim so they were claim mates. Lawrence & Young shared a tent but not a claim so they were mates as in friends. Northam and Lawrence were supposed to have arrived in Melbourne together though the records show otherwise. Northam boarded at Capetown.

      What transpired is that in late September 1855 Hugh Northam and James Lawrence had a falling out which resulted in Northam shooting Lawrence in the throat with a muzzle loaded pistol.as he lay in his camp stretcher. John Young was in his stretcher in the same tent. The ball went through James's trachea and oesophagus and lodged in his dorsal vertebrae. He did not die but it was impossible for him to receive food or water as it would leak out of the wound. I am unsure of the time that transpired but it appears that it was at least a week before Lawrence, in terrible pain, succumbed to internal and lung infections.

      Hugh Northam avoided the death penalty because the incompetence of the doctor treating Lawrence was deemed to have contributed to his death. Northam was sentence to 7 years hard labour on the charge of manslaughter. What happened to him after that is unclear but one newspaper report said that at the time of the shooting he had already invested in UK canals and railways.

      Is anybody chasing down James Lawrence or Hugh Darke Northam? I have some interesting articles about the inquest and trial.

      Interestingly Northam reportedly converted 3lbs of gold just days before the shooting. When arrested trying to cash the cheque in Melbourne the authorities seized the money.  At today's price it would be the equivalent of USD$2,000,000

      Rgds

      Richard Vickery

      ---In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, <heh002@...> wrote :

      Thanks, Clive.

      To make it worse my grandfather Thomas Gabriel Alexander Bagley had older brothers Edward and George Carol. I only have summary information with me but "my" Edward was born on 17/7/1864 and "my" George was born on 11/3/1866.  My grandfather Thomas Gabriel Alexander Bagley was born on 22/12/1870 at Daylesford in Victoria. He had younger sisters Mary Ann Amelia ( which picks up a St. Helenan grandmother's name, I think) born on 22/10/1870 and another other younger sister Matilda Amanda ( which I also suspect reprises the name of a St. Helena forebear) was born on 31/5/1859. Frederick Doveton,  the baby of the family, was born on 15/1/1882.

      Seems to me that this "mob" was related to your "mob" ( if you'll excuse an Aussie expression). Alternatively the gene pool, or the name pool,  was limited.  Have written a draft of a chapter in a book about my "mob" -  some interesting characters. Finding out how Thomas Gabriel Bagley go off the island would fill  a gap in the story.

      Am about to leave for Tasmania. Only have summary notes with me - have a bit more information in the "archives" (i.e. the garage - where else) but it will be some weeks before I can get to it.

      Harold Hayward
      PS It's a shocking thought, but I think my paternal great grandfather may have come to Australia via South Africa - but that's another mystery.

      Sent: Saturday, November 02, 2013 11:01 PM
      Subject: RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] RE: Young Family

      Hi Harold

      Too much information indeed. But sometimes not enough.

      To my knowledge, two Bagleys married Alexanders on the Island. My 4th Great Grandfather, George Alexander, married Margaret Bagley in 1751 and Edward Bagley married Elizabeth Alexander in 1732. This is most likely where the Alexander in TGA’s name came from.

      I need more info on these Bagleys. I have birth and death dates for Margaret and birth Date for Edward, but nothing else. How were they related, who were their parents? And so on. Can you help?

      We also have Dovetons in our tree. I find I am a fourth cousin 3 x removed to Dr Louis Leaky, the archaeologist, with Sarah Doveton and John Bazett a common ancestors.

      Cheers

      Clive Alexander

      South Africa