1891Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: St. Helena's Connection with New Orleans, Louisiana in 1866

  • julietc8
    Sep 19, 2013

      I was thinking the same Frank. People left to find work and new opportunities.

      I haven't had a chance to contribute much to the group. But I'm searching my grandmothers past. I've been told she was born on St Helena but her parents were not born there. They were European/British??

      She and her siblings moved to South Africa to join other family and to find work as her parents, my great grand parents had passed away.

      So I guess people were left with no choice but to get on any ship going.

      If anybody has any information on the family names

      I'd be very interested to hear about them.

      Thank you so much

      On 19 Sep 2013, at 19:00, "Frank F. Craig" <frankfcraig@...> wrote:

      They left as ships that used to stop there for wood or coal, due to improvements in technology, no longer had to stopover. This caused a loss of jobs. Mix that with a few bad summers, crop failures etc and many folk left for new jobs, lives and opportunities elsewhere.

      Sent using BlackBerry®

      From: Linda <msulab@...>
      Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 06:46:45 -0700 (PDT)
      Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: St. Helena's Connection with New Orleans, Louisiana in 1866

      Thanks for the historical information.  It will certainly help.  I know that slaves on St. Helena were emancipated in 1827, and so I am still questioning why folks would leave  in the 1860's - about 40 years after slavery was abolished.  Slavery was abolished in the US with the Emancipation Proclamation of 1862 and I was wondering if this, along with the depressed economy of St. Helena at that time, prompted folks to leave.

      I realize that Napoleon died in the 1830's and so there is little connection with New Orleans after that. I still can't figure out why there is so much information in the 1860s about St. Helena in the New Orleans newspapers.

      I found it interesting that some of the St. Helena folks made their way all the way to Hawaii and this leads me to believe the folks on the island may have taken any ship going any where to leave the island. By the way, does anyone know of the  type of ship that may have taken folks away from the island.  I know steam ships were still rare in in 1860's, but would a schooner be the appropriate vessel or maybe a whaling vessel?  I want to start the first chapter of my family history book with my 5 year old  great grandmother in 1867 - leaving the island of St. Helena without her mother for the US - and try to capture the experience of the boat/ship moving away from the island out to the Atlantic Ocean. Any suggestions for a dramatic beginning???

      Linda Mehlinger

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic