1864Re: Mary Lions

  • jonathanparsons141@btinternet.com
    Aug 25, 2013
      Hi Ally,

      I am transcribing a journal written by my Great Great Grandfather who was a British ship's engineer while he visited St Helena in 1877. One sentence that had me confused was "Of course I visited the lions of the place Longwood House and the Tomb".
      An internet search to try and find out which lions he saw lead to your posting.
      It seems that Lions (not lions) was meant and I wondered if you had got any further with your investigations. In any event, this bit of info might be of interest to you.
      It is perhaps significant that John Christopher Caton (English and a ship's engineer) married a Lion whose family seem to be mentioned by my GGG, Frederick Wittaker (English and a ship's engineer).
      Anyway, it would be useful for me to have confirmation that it was indeed the Lions family that my GGG was visiting at the site of Napoleon's imprisonment.

      Thanks

      Jonathan Parsons

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "alwynne benton" <allyb@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone
      > My name is Ally. According to the marriage certificate of my great grandfather his parents were a John Christopher Caton (possibly English, and a ships' engineer) and Mary Lions, who we believe is from St. Helena. I am forwarding a copy of a photograph (including my great grandfather as a child) with the inscription on the back naming the photographer as W.O. Broadway of the St. Helena Photographic Saloon and is numbered 282. The photograph would probably have been taken in the 1820-30s.
      > I have been in touch with the Archivist on St. Helena, but thought some of you more experienced "Saints researchers" might have some ideas for me to follow up. Thanks in advance for any replies. AllyB.

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic