      From: Mars
      Sent: Sunday, June 16, 2013 11:01 PM
      Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Mittons ethnicity?

      Does anyone (maybe Mr Honeybun?) know where to find the ethnicity of people in the St Helena documents?

      I see the names of Mittons people in the India Office papers (my grandmother was a Mittons) but since this line of my family is so racially mixed, there is debate about whether the St Helena Mittons folks were Portuguese, Dutch or African (or a cocktail thereof.)  On the U.S. Census, Joseph Mittons is listed as from W. Africa but specific ethnicity isn't noted.  Sources?

      Thanks.
      Mars Caulton, Chicago IL US

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic