1843Re: My Maternal Great Grandparents, Sarah Young and Thomas Henry John

  • hilarybellord
    Jun 3, 2013
      Hi

      My paternal grandmother was Nora Benjamin born in St Helena in 1911 and her parents (my paternal great grandparents) were Susan John and William Benjamin. Not sure whether my Susan is related to your Thomas Henry John as I don't have any other details and I am based in UK but I thought that I'd mention it anyway.

      Best wishes
      Hilary

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "wjfillmore" <williamjfillmore@...> wrote:

      > I am looking for genealogical information on my maternal great
      > grandparents, Sarah Young and Thomas Henry John. I believe, both were
      > born on St Helena and came to South Africa in the late 1800's to find
      > work. They both settled in the Claremont, Cape, South Africa area where
      > they were married. Sarah had a brother, John Young, and a sister,
      > Florence Young, who married a Mr. Graham - also from the Island. Thomas
      > Henry had two brothers, Maurice and William, who left St Helena to work
      > in the whaling industry in South Africa. My grandmother, Maude Eliza
      > Jacobs/Lang nee Young, had four sisters-Rosetta, Florence, Bertha and
      > Guenie; and two brothers-Thomas John and George. My mother, Daphne
      > Wilhelmina Fillmore nee Jacobs and my father, William James Fillmore,
      > were married at St Saviors on Main Road, Claremont. I left South Africa
      > in 1962, 9 months after my 21st birthday, and have lived in the US for
      > the past 50 years. My parents are buried in the US and my 5 siblings and
      > their families live in the US.I have some gaps on this side of my family
      > history - the Youngs and the John's -that I'm seeking to fill. What is
      > their ancestral history? When did they leave St Helena? Is my great
      > grandmother related related to the John and Sarah Younge's or their
      > children, John and Barbara, whose names are on "A List of Passengers
      > ordered on Board the Two Ships for St Hellena 1673" (Source: India
      > Office Library and Records)? If they are related, what are the
      > connecting lines? What is known of the ancestral line of Thomas Henry
      > John and his two brothers and their descendants? I would enjoy hearing
      > from anyone with information relavent to my search or with knowledge of
      > resources I might explore.

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic