1830Mary Jane CHAPMAN born 1869 St Helena

  • son29uk
    May 21, 2013
      According to family anecdotes, my great-grandmother Mary Jane CHAPMAN was born in St Helena in 1869. Her father John Chapman served in the Royal Engineers, and to date I have been unable to obtain an army service record for him. Can anyone help by telling me whether the Royal Engineers were in fact a presence in St Helena at that time, 1869. John Chapman's wife's name was Frances, nee Ashbee. If Mary Jane was in fact born to a serving soldier in St Helena, where can I find the record of birth? There is no record of birth in England, according to the G.R.O.

      Any help with this would be much appreciated.
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic