      From: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com [mailto:st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dave Beakhust
      Sent: Tuesday, 9 April 2013 11:06 PM
      To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Fw: St Helena Endangered Archive Project: earliest EIC records now o

      I would like to offer two speculative thoughts on the use of jpeg vs any other format.
      It seems unlikely that the format used to record the original images is jpg. I would like to guess the originals are TIFF or (proprietary) "Camera RAW". If the original images are only held as JPG that is indeed regrettable as it involves lossy compression. I suspect that for publication on the web an expedient was sought that kept the file sizes manageable. Perhaps the BL can publish in another format if good reasons can be shown?
      Secondly, many or most of these records being handwritten, automating any aspect of transcribing or indexing looks like a tall order. The indexing and abstraction from 18th and 19th cent newspapers produces occasional misleading results because of imperfect OCR. I do notice that newspapers online do seem to produce PDFs, though.

      Dave b

      Sent from my iPhone

      On 8 Apr 2013, at 23:39, "John Coyle" <jcoyle@...> wrote:

      Three of us have just completed three projects in scanning and indexing the journals of three philatelic societies spanning the period 1977-2012, and have been able to provide software to allow the location of any article in any of those journals and have it displayed on screen, I consider a serious error was made in scanning to the picture format (JPEG) used in this project. This format is much harder to use as one would like, as you cannot search for a word or phrase in the documents as you can in a PDF format document, the document is not displayed full-screen without manipulation, nor is it quite so convenient to browse backwards and forwards. Unfortunately this seriously limits its usefulness for research. It would be interesting to know if there is any index of more depth than that shown on the web site.

      Regards

      John Coyle

      President, St. Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha Philatelic Society

      Web: www.shatps.org <http://www.shatps.org>