      From: clivealex@...
      To: nzdanenz@...
      Subject: Edward William Alexander
      Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 16:22:12 +0200

      Hi Roger,

      Thanks for your email.

      Of relevance indeed! You have filled a hole that I had overlooked. I had wondered who the descendants of John Alexander (1752? – 1818) and his wife Mary Young were. They were the parents of George William. George and Jane Curo went on the have seven children, including Dr Edward William.

      Pity that we have no more on his descendants.

      Can’t you trace your own family back to her?

      Edward William was on hell of a guy. Another one to put into my Alexander Hall of fame.

      Alongside John Alexander (1671-1737) son of Richard, who was the first Alexander to settle on the island. John was very prominent in Island life, being a large landowner and Clerk of the Council for many years.

      Frederick Augustus Alexander who was responsible for exhuming Napoleon’s body.

      Fraser Frederick Alexander who played a large part in setting up the gold mining industry on the Wiwatersrand.

      His cousin, another Frederick Augustus who played Springbok rugby in 1891.

      And so the list goes on.

      Once again,

      Thanks for the tip

      Cheers