1620Re: BROADWAY FAMILY OF ST HELENA

  • gloffell
    Nov 30, 2012
      Hi Miranda,
      Louisa Broadway (born 1808) is an ancestor of mine. She and Henry Broadway had 11 children, the last of whom (Alice Eleanor Alexander 1852,)was my relative. Her first child, Maud Mary Mitchell (born 1872) was my Grand-mother.
      I've just joined the Group and am finding my way through the maze of names and connections. It's so exciting!
      Unfortunately I don't have any information about Caleb and can't add to any of your facts. However, I'm writing to you as I'm excited to "meet" my distant relative.
      I shall certainly be in touch if I have anything to add to your data. If you have anything to share with me I would love to hear from you.
      Regards,
      Gillian

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "miranda7322" <mirandadutta66@...> wrote:

      > I am researching the family of Caleb BROADWAY(b.1752?, location N/K) of
      > St Helena, particularly through his son Henry, a Captain in the East
      > India Company. Henry's wife Eliza(beth) TORBETT died in 1820, but he
      > went on to father many more children by (an) unknown mother(s). One of
      > these children, Thomas Frederick (b.1828, St Helena) became a Master
      > Mariner, & married an English girl, Mary Ann Garrard in the East End
      > of London (thus producing my line).
      >
      > Caleb Broadway was baptised as an adult in 1777, then married Mary
      > Watts later the same year. I have no record of him (or any other
      > Broadways) before 1777.
      > Their children:
      > George b. 1778, m. Ann KNIPE 1798, d. N/K
      > John b. 1780
      > Charles b. 1782, d. 1784
      > Mary b. 1785, m. Amorett YOUNG 1803, d. N/K
      > William b. 1787, d. 1807
      > Henry * b. 1788?, m. Eliza(beth) TORBETT 1808, d. N/K
      > Robert Ballard b. 1791?
      >
      > Henry Broadway was a Lieutenant & later a Captain in the St Helena
      > Artillery. He married Eliza(beth) TORBETT in 1808, & she died in 1820
      > (in childbirth?).
      > Their children:
      > Louisa b. 1808, m. Frederick ALEXANDER 1832, d. N/K
      > Eliza b. 1811
      > Henry Caleb b. 1813
      > William b. 1815
      > James b. 1817
      > Mary Charlotte b. 1820
      > Henry's children by unknown mother(s):
      > Eleanor Sarah b. 1822
      > Charles Edward b. 1824
      > Margaret Jane b. 1826
      > Thomas Frederick * b. 1828
      > Adelaide Geraud b. 1831
      > Penelope Frances Mary b. 1832
      >
      > I would be very grateful for any information at all about the St Helena
      > Broadways, but especially on Caleb's origins (was he the first Broadway
      > in St Helena, & if so, where in the UK was he from?); any idea who the
      > mother(s) of Henry Broadway's later children was/were?; what became of
      > the Broadway family after St Helena returned to the Crown? I have
      > reason to believe some may have gone to South Africa, but if so, who?
      > and where did the others go?
      >
      > I have also traced a Byron Topping Broadway b. 1853 in St Helena; does
      > anyone know who his parents were?
      >
      > I have already done extensive research (including trips to the British
      > Library & National Archives), & am prepared for more, so any info or
      > tips you can give me would be much appreciated!
      >
      > Many thanks,
      >
      > Miranda

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic