1607Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Toby, The Slave

  • Caroline Gaden
    Nov 5, 2012
      Hello Shaun
      Toby is depicted in a picture showing the meeting of Napoleon with the
      two Misses Balcombe ... it was in a painting called Napoléon à L'ile Ste
      Hélêne by artist Edouard -August Villain.

      The original is apparently hanging in the Château de Malmaison et
      Bois-Préau near Paris.... there are many web sites selling copies of it
      as a poster of the Balcombe girls meeting the Emperor (about £25-£30
      seems to be the going rate.)

      I'm sorry I can't help with any details of Toby or his family, nor the
      servant/slave who accompanied the family to England....

      Lowe's paranoia about the Balcombe's friendship with Napoleon continued
      even after they had left the Island (in March 1818). The Balcombe's had
      taken with them to England one of their servants, a local woman born on
      the Island. A year later she decided to return to her home on board the
      HEIC ship "Larkins". It was noted that the "Larkins" arrived having on
      board a black female servant of Mr Balcombe. This poor inoffensive woman
      had, it appeared (through attachment to Mr Balcombe's family)
      accompanied them to England, a crime you may suppose of no small
      magnitude in the eyes of Sir Hudson Lowe. Innocent, however, as the
      conduct of this harmless old creature was, the officers and men of the
      "Larkins" were doomed to suffer the greatest inconvenience for their
      humanity in giving her a passage to her native country. They were not
      permitted to land for two days in consequence in having her on board nor
      were the restrictions placed on them removed until the most
      inquisitorial examination before Sir Thomas Reade took place of this
      unoffending woman's person, papers and baggage. (Letter from St Helena
      Sept 1819)

      I mentioned various slaves in my earlier post, see below, but that is
      all the information I have found, sorry I can't be of more help

      All the best
      Caroline
      from family of William Balcombe of "The Briars"

      On 6/11/2012 5:25 AM, shaun wrote:
      > Hi Everyone
      >
      > I may have found the missing TOBIAS family from St Helena. Look at the
      > following mail:
      >
      > "According to the India Office Family History Search pages Mr and Mrs
      > (William) Balcombe had several slaves during the time frame 1805-1818:
      > Priscilla slave of Mr Chamberlain married George Christopher, slave of
      > Mr Balcombe .Richard William and Ann, slave to Mrs Balcombe had three
      > children baptised, Charles William, James Henry and Sarah Martha. Robert
      > was a son born to Mary, slave to Mr Balcombe and there was also the
      > slave Toby, their gardener who was a favourite of Napoleon. None of them
      > were born after 25 Dec 1818 (when children were born free) so all were
      > still slaves after that date. Please can you advise if these people were
      > accorded the dignity of their own surnames? Are there any descendents
      > still left on the Island?
      > Many thanks
      > Caroline"
      >
      > Toby is short for TOBIAS and a sketch that appears with the "gardener
      > slave appears with Napoleon. The resemblance to a living relative is
      > remarkable!!!
      >
      > I need for information on TOBY...where he come from, ship records... he
      > was Christened 19th December 1802 (Where & Which Church)...any siblings
      > born to him...when he died...where he is buried. etc.
      >
      > Please HELP any you have any information.
      >
      > Shaun Paulsen
      > +2784 631 7487
      > shaunpaulsen@... <mailto:shaunpaulsen%40yahoo.com>
      > skype: sspaulsen11