      From: "John Coyle" <jcoyle@...>
      To: <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:58 PM
      Subject: RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Seales and the rollers of 1846 (the truth)

      The link below will take you to a small gallery of photos of the rollers
      which came in 1968/9. For those who have never seen them, it's very
      difficult to appreciate just how powerful the water can be.

      John Coyle

      On 2012-10-30, at 12:27 PM, "pkbruce1947" <peterbruce@...> wrote:

      I came across this description of huge rollers causing havoc in the
      roadstead (anchorage) at St Helena in 1846. Mention is made of the rescue
      efforts of Robert Seale, Shipkeeper and his wife. An interesting read. My
      guess is the rollers were a tsunami.

      Here's the webpage:

      For information on St Helena family history see the St Helena Institute's
      homepage at http://www.st-helena.org

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic