1599RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Seales and the rollers of 1846 (the truth)

  • Christine Adams
    Nov 1 7:27 PM
      Thanks, John. Those were worth the proverbial "thousand words."

      To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      From: jcoyle@...
      Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 10:58:52 +1000
      Subject: RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Seales and the rollers of 1846 (the truth)

      The link below will take you to a small gallery of photos of the rollers which came in 1968/9. For those who have never seen them, it's very difficult to appreciate just how powerful the water can be.

      John Coyle

      On 2012-10-30, at 12:27 PM, "pkbruce1947" <peterbruce@...> wrote:

      I came across this description of huge rollers causing havoc in the roadstead (anchorage) at St Helena in 1846. Mention is made of the rescue efforts of Robert Seale, Shipkeeper and his wife. An interesting read. My guess is the rollers were a tsunami.

      Here's the webpage: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pbtyc/Gazette/Misc/St_Helena.html

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic