      Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 7:24 PM
      Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Seales and the rollers of 1846

      I think this could have been the culprit!

      Overview

      The Indonesia: Halmahera: Ternate earthquake was on February 14, 1846.

      But I will have to check my map!
      Regards
      Christine
      Sent from my iPod

      On 2012-10-30, at 12:27 PM, "pkbruce1947" <peterbruce@...> wrote:

      I came across this description of huge rollers causing havoc in the roadstead (anchorage) at St Helena in 1846. Mention is made of the rescue efforts of Robert Seale, Shipkeeper and his wife. An interesting read. My guess is the rollers were a tsunami.

      Here's the webpage: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pbtyc/Gazette/Misc/St_Helena.html

      Peter

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic