      From: Lara
      Sent: Friday, October 12, 2012 11:12 PM
      Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: 1829 List of Inhabitants - Women's Names - Intro

      Hello Ed,

      Thank you so very much for the info on the 1829 list of inhabitants. I looked it up today and found it quite fascinating. It was a lot of fun to see that there was a school on the island at that time as well as writers, chaplains, farmers, bakers, weavers, boat builders, an ale-house keeper, brewer, shopkeepers, shoe makers, carpenters, etc. I don't think the overseer or the gaoler would be fun jobs though.

      What I also found interesting was that there were some people with the same names such as John Robinson the farmer and John Robinson the wheelwright.

      I am new to the group. I very recently discovered that my great great grandfather was Hamelin Trelawney Seale born around 1839 on St. Helena island. I do not know his father's name yet -- I am waiting to receive his marriage certificate from England. Once I find out that info, the list of inhabitants will certainly be helpful as there are men with the last name Seale on the list.

      Does any one know of any way to find out more about the women on the island?? Of course, there are a lot of men listed as inhabitants and very few women. If my great great grandfather was born there and many others, his mom and other women must have been there too.

      I also noticed that in the list of births in the magazine that you mention, Ed, in a previous post, the women's names are not even given. It just says a son or daughter was born to the lady of Col. John Smith. The child's name is not listed either. I also thought it was strange that still born babies were listed in births and not deaths. Again, very fascinating info.

      Thanks again.

      Lara

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional