151Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Captain Robert Jenkins

  • barryperrins@yahoo.com
    Feb 24, 2005
      Dear Ian
      Re Jenkins.
      In 1741 Robert Jenkins arrived on the island to take charge and investigate a ' deficiency ' in the company funds. A certain Duke Crispe was found to be the one who was doing most of the embezziling aided by ? Bazett who where both of the council.
      Jenkins sacked the entire council and formed a new one.
      Crispe paid back most of the money and was allowed to leave the island.

      Hope this has been of help.
      Best Regards Barry

      Bazett Meyer <baz@...> wrote:
      Hello Ian,
      Philip Gosse, in his book "St Helena 1502 - 1938" (ISBN 0 904614395) gives a
      description of the purpose of Captain Jenkins' appointment as governor. If
      you can not get hold of the book contact me at baz@... and I will
      scan the relevant 2 pages for you and send it to your private address.
      Please take note that this book is still protected by copyright and I can
      only scan the pages based on the "fair usage" clause in the copyright law of
      South Africa.

      The book only covers his stay in St. Helena and does not give any
      description of his physical appearance.

      Regards
      Bazett Meyer