1485The Martha's Vineyard Angle

  • Linda
    Mar 15, 2012
      Greetings!

      On this board, many people have talked about relatives who left St. Helena and sailed on whaling ships to Martha's Vineyard in Massachusetts.

      I started to wonder if my St. Helen relatives did the same and was wondering what research and/or records are out there to find out who left the island and went to that area? When I check Ancestry.com, I can't find a decent location field for Martha's Vineyard since it probably wasn't called that in the early 1800's. I was wondering if anyone knew of a different name. I checked on the Internet and did not come up with much.

      If anyone has any information on this "St. Helena - Whaling concept", please let me know. This might explain why one of my St. Helena relatives ended up in Connecticut and Rhode Island. It is a long stretch, but I am desperate to find something.

      Thanks,

      Linda Mehlinger
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic