1459Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Storey, Charles Robert, Captain

  • Adele
    Jan 2, 2012
      I can tell you that my husband's gt grandmother was born on St Helena and her parents came from England. I wish there were more records - although a distant cousin did get birth records for her and her brother.

      Sent: Monday, January 02, 2012 9:54 AM
      Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Storey, Charles Robert, Captain

      Hi Ed,

      I have a suspicion that they were probably comprised mainly of local St Helena men and farmers who were conscripted into the Army. Any wives would thus be local.

      Out with officers, I couldn't see the Army paying for families to be moved or to live abroad.

      There may be Army records, base (Army base) records and censuses that you could access.

      St Helena's census records would be included in the UK census.

      Sent using BlackBerry®.

      From: "Ed Storey" <ecstorey@...>
      Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 19:33:07 -0700
      To: <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Storey, Charles Robert, Captain

      I am trying to learn more about the "norms" of English soldiers in the St Helena Regiment.  (My interest is in the 1845 -1855 period)

      1) Would they typically bring their families with them?
      2) Might there be any records of the families? (like rolls or newspapers)
      3) Are there any enumeration lists from censuses like 1851, 61, or 71?
      4) Are there any almanacs, directories, or similar extant?

      Thank you in advance for any help.

      Ed Storey

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic