    Nov 24, 2011
      There is a St. Helena to New England connection for other families from St. Helena. My great-great grandfather, Henry Williams, was born in St. Helena about 1823. He emigrated to North America and settled in Newport Rhode, likely having signed on to a whaling ship. By 1850 he was married to my great-great- grandmother who was born in Nova Scotia. They had one son, Charles Albert. By 1860 Henry had died at sea.

      Carolyn

      On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 6:02 PM, caulton@... <caulton@...> wrote:

      Hmm, this interests me.  My ancestor, a "Mittons," also came to New Bedford MA directly from St Helena, possibly as a whales.  Anyone know of any sources to look up this scenario? Does anyone know if this was common?

      ----- Reply message -----
      From: "Leonard Meek" <lemeek@...>
      Date: Mon, Nov 21, 2011 4:25 pm
      Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] 1827 Listing of Slaves
      To: <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com>

      John, last year you posted a request for info on the name, "Maggott." I have some tentative data on a Benjamin Maggott, who was my G-G-G-Grandfather. He was a slave for the East India Company. The name (in our case) was apparently changed to Magnett. There were at least two lines of Magnett descendants, one settling in New Bedford and the other in Hawaii. I'm sure there were others that I'm not aware of. I hope this helps.

      Leonard