1420Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: P & O Ships docking at St Helena

  • Caroline Gaden
    Nov 1, 2011
      Hello Janet
      There is no port with a dockside that ships can berth next to, you have
      to climb down the side of your large ship and move across into a small
      wooden fishing boat (probably Gannet 3) which takes you ashore. If the
      swell is too great it is too dangerous for this to happen... you will be
      given life jackets but even so you don't want to end up in the drink!
      When you get to the steps again it depends on the swell as you have to
      step from the rocking boat onto the steps.. the local men are really
      helpful and hold your arms to get you ashore but if the swell is too
      great there is a safety issue for everyone.
      I hope you are able to go ashore, it is the most delightful island
      Good luck
      Caroline

      On 31/10/2011 7:30 AM, janet durnall wrote:
      > Hi everyone,
      > We are on a P & O cruise (Arcadia) due to dock at St Helena in April
      > 2012. My husbands family have very strong links with St Helena and we
      > are eager to explore, but we are told that not many ships manage to dock
      > due to the swell of the sea. Can anyone give us any information or
      > hope?? Regards, Ray and Janet Durnall

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic