1329RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] William Ridge and William Clingen in the St. Helena Artillery

  • foxhome
    Apr 2, 2011

      Andrew, You can find the muster rolls for the St Helena infantry and artillery in the British Library  Asia, Pacific and African collection (3rd floor)

      The indexes are on line at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=059-iorlmil_8-1&cid=1-1-1#1-1-1

      Or search on ‘St Helena muster rolls’  on the National Archives web site http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/ and click on

      St Helena Records IOR/L/MIL/13

      The volumes handwritten are about 3 ins thick. There is a return for each battalion every quarter year 1789 to 1859

      You can track the career of your ancestor from when he arrived at the island until his discharge. If he received a pension he may be appear in other volumes. The staff at the library are very helpful and will give you lots of help if you ask. If you phone before hand you may be able to order volumes to be ready when you arrive (first time readers will need to get a pass – a quick and easy process). If you order them when you get there it will take 70mins for the items to arrive.

      Try and avoid busy times – Sat mornings, bank hols etc.

      Hope this helps

      Colin