      From: "ajb500" <ajb500@...>
      Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 20:51:35 -0000
      To: <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] William Ridge and William Clingen in the St. Helena Artillery

      Hi Frank,
      Thank you very much for the charts which arrived today. It will take me a while to study them all.
      If William Ridge served as a sergeant in the St. Helena Artillery (as evidenced by the record of his marriage to Frances Thomas) there are presumably records somewhere of his enlistment and his career. Similarly there should be records of William Clingen's service in the St. Helena regiment. Would these be in the East India Company archives? Have they been indexed? Are any of them searchable online? (I expect not, otherwise you would probably have looked already.)
      I was interested to see that your grandparents were Robert Gregory, son of Henrietta Devlin, and Ellen Connor, daughter of Richard Connor. Janet's grandmother was Mary Ann Elizabeth McDermott, daughter of Alice Devlin and hence Robert Gregory's cousin, and her grandfather was Richard Connor, brother of Ellen.
      Regards,
      Andrew

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Frank Craig <frankfcraig@...> wrote:

      > Hi Andrew,
      >
      > Yes, I have dug into that area. Fanny was likely of Asian origin. The slaves on
      > the island were either African, Indian or from Madagascar ( a hotch-potch of
      > Africans, Asians and Indians, sailors and traders. I can say that she is likely
      > Indian/East Asian (and not African) as I had a DNA genealogy blood test done and
      > I was 85% European and 15% East Asian with 0% African.
      >
      > I have included all of this in the FamilyTreeMaker chart which I will print off
      > and post today.
      > Regards
      >

      > Frank F Craig

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic