      From: Colin
      Sent: Friday, April 01, 2011 1:24 AM
      Subject: RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Ethnic origins of freed slave born in St Helena

      Crystal, I have transposed a list of 890 slaves who were valued for emancipation in 1827 and another list compiled in 1840 of ex slaves who still owed some of the money they were loaned to purchase their freedom.

      This will soon hopefully be available on line on the website set up for the Friends of St Helena (FOSH). It will be in a members only area available using a password. It is setting up this access and working out how to provide the information that is taking some time by the web master and myself. The intent is to provide a list of names but only allow access to other information (slave owner, age, valuation, occupation and in some cases comments on the slave’s character) to members.

      For the present I am willing to let people know if a particular name or family is on the database but since I undertook this considerable amount of work to increase the Friends membership, I will only provide the additional information to members.

      From: A.H.Schulenburg <ahs@...>
      To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, March 28, 2011, 8:57 PM

      Unless you find an incidental reference to someone's place of origin in the records, or deduce their origin from a geographically based second name, you won't be able to discover a slave's ethnic origin.

      Also, as the importation of slaves was made illegal in 1792, Susan, Sophia and Ann were most likely all born on St Helena and may have spoken no language other than English.  In any case, both Susan and Sophia were already of mixed parentage.

      Best regards,