1319Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Ethnic origins of freed slave born in St Helena

  • mandleberry
    Mar 29, 2011
      Thank you for that information, Alexander. I have emailed you separately, as I didn't realise initially that I could reply to the thread this way!
      Best wishes,
      Amanda

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "A.H.Schulenburg" <ahs@...> wrote:

      > Unless you find an incidental reference to someone's place of origin in the records, or deduce their origin from a geographically based second name, you won't be able to discover a slave's ethnic origin.
      >
      > Also, as the importation of slaves was made illegal in 1792, Susan, Sophia and Ann were most likely all born on St Helena and may have spoken no language other than English. In any case, both Susan and Sophia were already of mixed parentage.
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Alexander

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic