1297Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Devlins, Clingens & Reids
- Mar 25, 2011Hi I don't know if this is of any interest to you in your search for your family history,but on the India Office Records family history search website,there are some entries for Clingens,one showing a marriage between a William Clingen to Elizabeth Ridge (I know you said the name was Reid),but maybe another mis-spelling.date 29 March 1831.Williams status is listed as St.Helena Art.Then an entry for a William Clingen birth 4th May 1832. baptism 10th June 1832.then sadly burial 24th July 1832.parents William husbandman and Elizabeth.
Also an enrty for James Issac Clingen.birth 2nd Oct. 1833. baptism 31st Oct.1833.same parents as above,and the same occupation for the Father.I have no idea if these are any connection to your Clingens,but just thought I let you know,good luck in your research.
From: ajb500 <ajb500@...>
Sent: Tue, 22 March, 2011 14:39:40
Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Devlins, Clingens & Reids
I've just startewd researching my girlfriend's family history. According to family tradition one of her ancestors guarded Napoleon on St. Helena. This may just be a story but I have found a connection to St. Helena. Her great grandmother Alice Devlin was the daughter of Henry Devlin and Catherine Clingen, who were married on St. Helena on 2nd August 1856. According to information I've seen on this site they were both minors and Henry was a private.
Henry Devlin was born in Ireland in about 1836. He was the son of John Devlin and Alice Rodgers. He died in Glasgow on 15th September 1893. He is described at various times as a steamship stoker, a dock labourer, a distillery worker and an army pensioner.
Catherine Clingen was born on St. Helena in about 1840 and died in Glasgow in 1912. She was the daughter of William Clingen and Elizabeth Reid. According to Catherine's death certificate William was a soldier.
Henry and Catherine had at least eight children
1. Mary Ann. She was born on St. Helena in about 1860. She married James Thomson in Glasgow on 18th July 1879.
2. Catherine. She was born on St. Helena in about 1863. She married Levi Girvan in Glasgow on 12th October 1883. They had at least two children, Catherine and Mary.
3. Henry. He was born in Agra in India on 19th October 1866 and died in Glasgow on 15th April 1875.
4. Alice. She was born in Glasgow on 24th April 1872. She married William McDermott and then William Walker. She died in Glasgow on 29th March 1942.
5. Henrietta. Born in Glasgow on 16th June 1875.
6. Henry. Born in Glasgow on 30th January 1878.
7. Georgina. Born in Glasgow on 27th February 1881 and died on 30th April 1883.
8. Georgina. Born in Glasgow on 26th May 1884.
I'd be happy to supply more details if requested.
Does anybody have more information about these families, particularly with regard to St. Helena? Did Catherine Clingen (the name is spelt in several different ways) have any siblings? Were her parents married on St. Helena? Does anybody have any information about Henry Devlin's army career? Can anybody recommend any books on the history of St. Helena, particularly with regard to the army in the first half of the nineteenth century? I'd be pleased to hear from anyone who is researching the same families or is able to let me know what resources are available to help me pursue my enquiries.
- << Previous post in topic Next post in topic >>