      Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 7:14 PM
      Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Currency

      Many thanks John, I guess in the early days there would have been some
      trading in coins as ships went to and from India and other places... a
      ready movement of sailors and troops, so if one person on the way 'home'
      to England could only pay in rupees for example I imagine the local
      shopkeepers would have been able to give change to another person
      heading in the opposite direction. The arithmetical skills for
      conversion must have been good and becuse it had a useful need, I'm sure
        the people all quickly learned to do it... best way to teach kids
      subtraction is the dart board!!
      Appreciate your help
      Cheers
      Caroline

      John Coyle wrote:

      > Hi Caroline - there certainly was a local currency in St. Helena: I have
      > an example of a halfpenny dated 1821, and I believe these are quite common.
      >
      > The coin is copper, 28mm in diameter, and the face bears the arms of the
      > East India Company, while the obverse has a wreath of laurel all around
      > the edge, and the words "S^t HELENA HALFPENNY" in a circular format next
      > inside.  The date is in the centre, in a straight line.
      >
      > You can find an illustration here:
      >
      > ___http://tinyurl.com/29alty6_
      >
      > where it is described as a commemorative struck on Napoleon’s death
      >
      > or here
      >
      > ___http://tinyurl.com/39bre3b_
      >
      > which is a better illustration.
      >
      > HTH