      From: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com [mailto:st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Caroline Gaden
      Sent: Monday, 13 September 2010 10:02 AM
      To: St Helena list
      Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Currency

      Hello Everyone

      I've been researching the monetary system in New South Wales from the

      arrival of the First Fleet and now have a better understanding of the

      mish-mash of various currencies in use eg Spanish dollars [minted in

      Mexico], rupee, mohur, pagoda, ducat, Johanna, promisary notes etc.

      In 1825 the British Government decreed that all 'colonies' should use

      the £ sterling as their basis but it took quite a while for this to take

      effect and the non-Sterling coins to disappear [about ten years in NSW].

      My questions relate to the East India Company in particular....the ships

      used St Helena as a 're-fueling' point on the way to India and also home

      again. Did St Helena have a similar variety of currency in use pre-1825?

      Was Sterling is use from the earliest days of the EIC or would a local

      currency have been acceptable to local traders?

      Many thanks

      Caroline

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic