1237RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Slaves and slave owners in 1827

  • foxhome
    Jul 28, 2010

      The Friends of St Helena (FOSH) are currently going through some changes with a new membership secretary taking over soon. I believe moves are afoot (may already be in place) to allow people to pay their subs on-line. Currently you can join the society using the link on the webpage http://www.fosh.org.uk/

      Re the database. It currently covers 880 slaves and 140 slave owners and runs to 29000 words (incl index)

      My long term plan is to add as many names of people living on the island during the 1820-1830 period as I can including the garrison and hopefully the free black population. I am not a web buff so I’m not sure yet how I will get this info on line. I am hoping that the FOSH will be able to get a members only link from the web page and someone will be able to sort this for me. Otherwise I will deal with individual queries using the FOSH membership list.

      Providing the info on emails is not difficult as I have transferred some of the info into an Excel file, separated the first and last names into separate columns and set up sort buttons so I can enter a last name and pull out all the slaves with that name. This can then be cut and pasted into the email.

      I will endeavour to provide an open index so that anyone will be able to see if information is available on the database.

      Regards

      Colin

      From: "foxhome" <colin@...>

      Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 17:10:02 +0100

      To: <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com>

      Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Slaves and slave owners in 1827

      Folks,

      Please note that when I set out to transcribe the 1827 slave details form the India Office Records my intention was that I would use the information in a way to benefit the Society of Friends of St Helena (FOSH) see http://www.fosh.org.uk/

      I am still working on this data and as the information I have been providing is incomplete, I have not been pushing for this, However, when I do complete the database (which has many more family relationships recorded) I intend to make the information available to Members of FOSH only.

      Membership is only £15 per year and for this you get copies of the Wirebird journal and St Helena Connections magazine and you can also attend 2 meetings a year during which you get to hear speakers talk about many aspects of St Helena history. The October meeting this year will have a Napoleonic theme with the authors of 3 recent books giving talks and with an introduction by David Markham.

      Nest years meeting in June will have a slave theme with speakers talking on the excavation of the Free African Cemetery and also about the anti slave patrols and the Vice Admiralty Court on the island.

      If you are interested in St Helena, its heritage and its people please join the Society

      Regards

      Colin Fox

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic