      From: foxhome
      Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 6:10 AM
      Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Slaves and slave owners in 1827

      Folks,

      Please note that when I set out to transcribe the 1827 slave details form the India Office Records my intention was that I would use the information in a way to benefit the Society of Friends of St Helena (FOSH) see http://www.fosh.org.uk/

      I am still working on this data and as the information I have been providing is incomplete, I have not been pushing for this, However, when I do complete the database (which has many more family relationships recorded) I intend to make the information available to Members of FOSH only.

      Membership is only £15 per year and for this you get copies of the Wirebird journal and St Helena Connections magazine and you can also attend 2 meetings a year during which you get to hear speakers talk about many aspects of St Helena history. The October meeting this year will have a Napoleonic theme with the authors of 3 recent books giving talks and with an introduction by David Markham.

      Nest years meeting in June will have a slave theme with speakers talking on the excavation of the Free African Cemetery and also about the anti slave patrols and the Vice Admiralty Court on the island.

      If you are interested in St Helena, its heritage and its people please join the Society

      Regards

      Colin Fox

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic