1208Re: BASSETT-KNIPE

  • tedswart
    Jul 22, 2010
      Like Pam Allman I am descended from Sarah Bassett-Knipe (and her husband Richard Riley) and I have long been interested in tracking down her ancestry. Sarah is my great great grandmother and from what little I know she was classified as "mulatto". She is also reported as having been born in St Helena about 1804.
      I recently checked the family search web pages at
      http://fsbeta.familysearch.org
      and came up with the following information:
      There was a marriage on St Helena between William Knipe and and Sarah Bazett (Bassett?) on 31 Oct 1801.
      The children I have managed to track down are:
      Henry Wm Knipe Chr 1 Aug 1802
      Edward Charles Knipe Chr 27 Jume 1811, Born 20 Jan 1810
      Elizabeth Charlotte Bazett Knipe Chr 1812, Born 9 Feb 1812

      It seems eminenlty reasonable that Sarah Bassett-Knipe (or Bazett Knipe) was also a daughter -- born about 1804.
      The earliest known Bazett (or Bassett) on St Helena was, of course, Capt. Matthew Bazett (Bassett?) who arrived in St Helena in January 1684.

      Thanks for any help you can give.

      . . Ted Swart . .

      Can anyone confirm this or add additional information?

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Pam Allman" <pam.allman@...> wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > I am looking for information regarding my great grandmother who came
      > from St Helena. My great grandfather (from the UK) was shipwrecked
      > off the coast of Tristan Da Cunha in 1820 and settled to live with the
      > few islanders already there.
      >
      > In 1826 when Capt. Ammon of the Norwegian whaling sloop Duke of
      > Gloucester called at Tristan, the governor requested that he try and
      > find brides for the 5 bachelor men on the island. In April 1827 he
      > returned with five young women of mixed Negro blood from St. Helena.
      >
      > One of these ladies was SARAH BASSETT-KNIPE and she lived with RICHARD
      > RILEY for many years before leaving the island for SA where they both
      > died.
      >
      > I know nothing of this lady and I would welcome any suggestions.
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Pam Allman

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic