1156Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Gardner, Timms & Caesar

  • Nancy-Jo Nunez
    Jun 16, 2010
      Good luck in your travels, how wonderful for you.

      From: judith.armstrong77 <judith.armstrong77@...>
      To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tue, June 15, 2010 9:07:46 PM
      Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Gardner, Timms & Caesar

      Hi John (or anyone out their)

      I am desparate to find out more about my family who were slaves on St Helena. You may be able to shed some light on this. I am visiting the island next year in April.

      All I have is a marriage certificate from St James' Church 1823 showing that William Smith, age not shown (probaly not known),a slave owned by Joseph Weston, married Elizabeth Honeybon who was not shown as a slave.

      I have photo of their daughter in her old age. She was Ann Ursula, born 1825 and she died in Maryborough Victoria Australia in 1900.

      It is interesting to see that she was obviously mixed race and therefore possibly not direct from the African mainland. My Grandmother, long dead, remembered her fondly from when she was small girl, so that is my closest link.

      Any clues any one? Links names places to go? Relatives?

      Judith Armstrong
      Elwood Australia

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "foxhome" <colin@...> wrote:

      > Hi, I have recently been transcribing the names of slaves who were valued by
      > a committee on the island in Sep1827 in preparation for manumission. There
      > are a number of Caesars and Casars in the list – as below. Hope this will be
      > of use to you. I will be publishing the whole listing sometime in the future
      > but will be using the data for articles I plan to submit to Wirebird – one
      > of the publications sent to members of the Friends of St Helena see
      > http://www.fosh.org.uk/ (along with Connections magazine)
      >
      > For anyone with an interest in the island, this is a very worthwhile society
      > to be a member of.
      >

      > No
      >
      > Name of Proprietior
      >
      > Name of Slave
      >
      > Age
      >
      > Description
      >
      > Value
      >
      > Remarks
      >

      > 648
      >
      > Mrs M Barnes
      >
      > Finny Caesar
      >
      > 60
      >
      > Infirm
      >
      > 1/-
      >

      > 649
      >
      > ditto
      >
      > Caroline Caesar
      >
      > 24
      >
      > Washerwoman has 1 free child 3 years old unmarried
      >
      > 25
      >

      > 282
      >
      > Mrs Harper
      >
      > George Caesar
      >
      > 68
      >
      > A good stockman healthy old man of good character
      >
      > 10
      >

      > 620
      >
      > Estate of the late Lieut S Young
      >
      > John Caesar
      >
      > 25
      >
      > Cook in Mr John Young's service character tolerably
      good

      > 80
      >

      > 622
      >
      > ditto
      >
      > Flora Caesar
      >
      > 32
      >
      > A cook and washerwoman let out has 2 free children youngest 3 years a good
      > servant unmarried
      >
      > 20
      >

      > 357
      >
      > Mr Greentree
      >
      > Margaret Caesar
      >
      > 10
      >
      > Not yet employed
      >
      > 15
      >

      > 332
      >
      > Mrs Lester
      >
      > Mary Caesar
      >
      > 30
      >
      > House servant and nurse of good character no encumbrances
      >
      > 35
      >

      > 785
      >
      > Mr Lambe
      >
      > Massie Caesar
      >
      > (married to Wm Caesar)
      >
      > 26
      >
      > Milk woman and poulterer has 2 free children youngest 3 years
      >
      > 25
      >

      > 351
      >
      > Mr Greentree
      >
      > Michael Caesar
      >
      > 15
      >
      > Shepherd and pastures hand a very useful boy
      >
      > 60
      >

      > 355
      >
      > ditto
      >
      > Sarah Caesar
      >
      > 16
      >
      > House servant and nurse lent out
      >
      > 30
      >

      > 780
      >
      > Mr Lambe
      >
      > William Caesar
      >
      > 44
      >
      > Mower and first rate ploughman good farm labourer character formerly bad
      > having been King's evidence 10 or 12 years ago and about 4 years back
      > convicted of stealing poultry since when well behaved.
      >
      > (Remark on Wm Caesar by Mr Lambe) This man has been in my employ five years
      > and I consider him as active able and useful a farm labourer as any on this
      > island is an excellent mower
      ploughman (having obtained 2 premiums for the
      > same at the fair) a good gardener a tolerable mason a very good joiner,
      > carpenter a thatcher a stockman can milk and make cheese and butter and on
      > the whole is a very useful and intelligent man very healthy civil and
      > obedient I should give him £25 per annum and rations if free and is worth to
      > me at least £210 He was received King's evidence against Robinson George 10
      > or 12 years ago – was convicted about 4 years ago of stealing a hen and
      > chickens and punished in the treadmill since when to my knowledge no crime
      > has been laid to his charge
      >

      > Not valued No 19
      >
      > Mr Lambe requests it be noted by the Committee that whatever value may be
      > affixed to his slave he doth hereby make a present to each of them of the
      > one half of the sum at which he or she may be valued as a testimony of
      the
      > sincere conviction he entertains that emancipation will prove of
      > inestimable blessing to St Helena
      >

      > 80
      >
      > Mr G and H Alexander
      >
      > Augustus Casar
      >
      > 18
      >
      > Useful hand in the yam plantation, strong and healthy
      >
      > 75
      >

      > 108
      >
      > Mrs Broadway
      >
      > Benjamin Casar
      >
      > 54
      >
      > Useful wood cutter; a willing old servant and tolerably healthy
      >
      > 10
      >

      > 76
      >
      > Sergt Carolans Estate
      >
      > Celia Casar
      >
      > 40
      >
      > A good washerwoman and cook, a good servant no child. Let out for £12/annum
      >
      > 40
      >

      > 78
      >
      > Mr G and H Alexander
      >
      > Samuel Casar
      >
      > 39
      >
      > Good
      mower, mason and fruit gardener of good character has received 1 class
      > premium of 1825 lost the sight of one eye by an accident. Healthy
      >
      > [Wirebird No 38 The Caesars of St Helena:
      >
      > …can pay down £25 which himself and his wife have made by their own
      > industry, and wishes Government to advance him a loan of £65 which he will
      > repay by instalments and from 15 to 20 shillings per month. He is married to
      > a woman (Margaret slave of Capt Seale) whose freedom he purchased for £10
      > and has 6 free children those who are of sufficient age attend Sandy Bay
      > Sunday School and he subscribes to the Benefit Society for the whole family.
      > He is a mower, mason and general farm servant bears and excellent character
      > and received a medal in 1824 for being honest, diligent, sober and
      > respectful he is not mortgaged.
      >
      > 6th Jan 1831 GA Den Taffe
      >
      > Granted]
      >
      > 90
      >

      > Colin Fox
      >

      > http://www.thebennettletters.com/

      post. There are a few descendants of the Gardners who post on
      > this site. I'm a great-great grandson of Thomas Henry Gardner who was born
      > to Samuel Gardner and Louisa in 1857. I only discovered the depth of my
      > family's St Helena roots earlier this year, and have been greatly helped in
      > my research by other members of the group, espcaially Jan.
      >
      > If you look in the photo section you will see a copy of Samuel Gardner and
      > Louisa Tim's (nee Caesar) marriage certificate, plus a copy of Samuel
      > Casar's (the spelling changes!)emancipation paper from 1831. Samuel Casar
      > was Louisa's father.
      >
      > I've written up most of what I know about the Gardners and Caesars on the
      > island up to 1865 when Samuel Gardner returned home to the UK with Louisa
      > and his six children (three more children were born in London). This
      > information is in a Word document and is difficult
      to post here but happy to
      > send to you - or anyone else - if you can provide a full email address.
      >
      > You know, there are photos of Thomas Henry Gardner and some of his siblings,
      > too.
      >
      > Very best regards,
      >
      > John Gardiner

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic