1121Dasey Deasey family

  • Michele Dasey
    Apr 25, 2010
      I am looking for any information on the Dasey /Deasey family. Thomas Dasey was Irish and married Eleanor Moreley in England in December 1813 they then came to St Helena and Thomas  was a mattross  in the St Helena Artillery under the company command of Captain Thomas J. B. Coles. Their first son James William Dasey was born at Longwood Jamestown St Helena was born on the 22nd April 1814 and christened on 22 December of the same year.

       According to St Helena records Thomas and Eleanor had a second son Michael Deasey born November 27th 1818.

      Note 1 The spelling of the name Dasey in the muster records of the St Helena Artillery changed regularly according to the recorders interpretation. It ranged from Dasey/Deacey/Deasey/Deascy. Interestingly I believe Michael kept the spelling Deasey for his life while James seemed to keep Dasey.

      It seemed the family lived on St helena for only a short time. Little information could be found on what happened to the family after 1819. There is no record of how James went from St Helena to England or what happened to Eleanor and Thomas.  The next references for  James appears in 1829 in the preceedings of the Old Bailey.

      Would someone know what happened to the artillery unit and where the men were more likely to move on too so I could try and track the family. They just seem to have vanished. Even thought James William was in England at a young age (around 14) there is no record of the family on census records and I am completely lost as to where to go next. The name changing all the time does not help. Is there someone who could guide me
      thanks Michele
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic