1003Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Thomas Henry Gardiner

  • gardiner.john@rocketmail.com
    Jan 20, 2009
      Sadly, I don't have much information. What I was told by Malcolm
      Gardiner, a Saint by birth but now living in London, is that his
      grandfather was Walter Gardiner. Walter was born in the Cape around
      1895 to a Gardiner father and a Scott mother (sorry, don't have either
      of their first names). The mother died giving birth to Walter, and soon
      after and for whatever reason, Walter was sent back to St Helena to live
      with his maternal grandparents.

      Malcolm Gardiner may know more but I don't think he's a member of this
      group. I'm seeing him next week in London and will ask him to join and
      share any other information he might have about his Scott family
      connections.

      Best regards.

      John

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "su rowbotham"
      <su.monkey@...> wrote:

      > I'm interested in the Scott family, do you know which Scotts that you
      are connected with?

      Payne in my tree; she was born in 1823 in the E. Cape - parents were
      Elijah Payne and Mary Hall; they also had a daughter, Mary, b. 1818 in
      Deverill Longbridge, Wiltshire. This family were 1820 Settlers.

      wrote:

      > Hello, everyone. I only found this group today, and looking through
      > some of the posts it has already helped me with new information about
      > my family.
      >
      > My name is John Gardiner, I live in London and I am the great-great
      > grandson of Thomas Henry Gardiner who was born in St Helena in 1857.
      > I am descended from Thomas through his daughter, my great-
      > grandmother, Eleanor. My grandfather, Benjamin Wallace Gardiner Snr,
      > kept his mother's surname.
      >
      > My family thought Thomas was from the Cape, though we knew of a
      > distant family link to St Helena. It's believed in my family that
      > one of Thomas's daughters, probably Louisa, returned to St Helena in
      > the early part of the 20th Century. Also, my grandfather used to
      > correspond with a relative on the island who lived above the post
      > office. His name was Walter Gardiner and it is believed he was born
      > in the Cape in 1895. His mother was from St Helena and it seems she
      > died giving birth to Walter. He was then sent back to St Helena to
      > live with his maternal family who were Scotts. Walter's grandson,
      > Malcolm Gardiner, was born on the island and now resides in London.
      >
      > I was really pleased to see other descendants of Thomas Gardiner
      > posting on this site and would like to contact them to share
      > information. I have more information on Thomas Henry's history in
      > Southwark, plus photos of Thomas, his wife Eleanor (nee Payne), my
      > great-grandmother, Eleanor, and one of her sisters, believed to be
      > Mabel. I'd like to find out more about the Gardiners, and would very
      > much like to find out more about Thomas Henry's mother, Louise.
      >
      > I look forward to sharing more information with you.
      >
      > Very best regards.
      >
      > John Gardiner

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic