17351Re: SSNET: 10: Seedy Covenant

  • karl sandberg
    Jun 9, 2014
      Just as literal circumcision is not visible to those around us, circumcision of the heart (to which literal circumcision was the type) is a very personal and painful procedure.  Death to self.  Mortification of the flesh.

      Karl

      On Jun 6, 2014, at 9:32 AM, Pam Luna wrote:

      SS Net friends,

      Because my sense of curiosity regards a subject trumps my concern for appropriate discussion, I‚m just going to jump right in there and ask my question.  So here it is, complete with caveat: God made a bow of colors in the heavens to remind us of His promise never again to destroy the earth with water.  Beautiful, free, not painful, and there for all to see.

      Within this context the quarterly author introduces another covenant; that of circumcision.  Can anyone explain to me, Why circumcision?  I muse not in disrespect for the Almighty, but this seems to me an unreasonable thing for Him to ask of His people.  What purpose does the deed fulfill?  No one but the man and his wife will (or should) know if he is circumcised, so it can‚t be a „sign‰ to outsiders identifying him as an Israelite.  If there is an allegorical application, I‚ve missed it.  The practice is not beautiful (ask any 8-day old baby), it is not „free‰ if shed blood was involved, it is painful, and it is not a „sign‰ for all to see, as was the ear-piercing of faithful servants (Exodus 21:5, 6).

      There you have it.  Who will be the first to explain?

      Thanks,
      Pam

      (Be sure the correct list shows in the "list" box -- either SSNET or SSNET2)

      karl sandberg
      sandberg@...

      Anxiety is when you lose your faith in God, and faith in God is when you lose your anxiety.

      Coincidence is when God chooses to remain anonymous.

      The task ahead of us is never as great as the Power behind us.

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic