17342Re: SSNET: 11: Sabbath: The Apostles and the Law

  • Carol Lee
    Jun 7, 2014
      There is a point that came to me one day in regards to the early Christians keeping the Sabbath that I'd like to share.

      First think about all the controversy around the way the scribes and Pharisees accused Christ of not keeping the Sabbath when He healed on the Sabbath, and when his disciples plucked the grain and shucked in when walking through the grain field on Sabbath. Then look at all the controversy over whether or not the gentile Christians should be circumcised and how much of the Torah were Christians obligated to observe.

      With all that, can you imagine the uproar if the disciples were teaching that the Sabbath was no longer to be kept. Surely, such an uproar would have been a major part of the story in Acts, and a major point Paul would have discussed in his letters. It would have been a much larger issue than circumcision and would surely have been endlessly debated and brought before the Jerusalem council.

      Of course we know there is no indication in any of the early church writings that the early Christians kept any day but Sabbath until sometime late in the 2nd or 3rd century.

      Anyway, just a point I thought might be of interest to SSNET participants.

      Carol Lee

      On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 4:01 AM, Sabbath School Net <feeds@...> wrote:

      Sabbath: The Apostles and the Law

      gless11-2014b

      Read for This Week’s Study: Rom. 3:31, Rom 6:15, Acts 10:9-14, John 15:1-11, James 2:1-26, Heb. 3:7-19, Jude 5-7.

      Memory Text: Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good (Romans 7:12, NKJV).
      With so much evidence for the continued validity of God's law, why do so many Christians argue against it?
      First, some (as we have seen) look at certain New Testament texts that condemn a false understanding of the law's function but conclude that the problem is with the law itself. As a result, they claim that the Ten Commandments are not obligatory for those under the New Covenant.
      Second, others are so convinced that the Sabbath is not binding on Christians that, in order to justify this position, they claim that all the commandments have been crucified with Jesus on the cross.
      Third, some argue that the other nine commandments are in effect but that the fourth, the Seventh-day Sabbath, has been superseded by Sunday, which is kept in honor of the resurrection of Jesus.
      Numerous problems exist with all these positions. This week we'll look at the attitude of Christ's apostles concerning the law, because surely if it were to have been nullified or modified after Christ's death, the apostles would have known something about it.
      *Study this week's lesson to prepare for Sabbath, June 14.

      Leave a comment

      (Be sure the correct list shows in the "list" box -- either SSNET or SSNET2)