17341Re: SSNET: 10: Bible Reading (was: Christ - love & obey)

  • Nadine Sample
    Jun 7, 2014
      Oh, I liked that Ben.  I am going to have my SS class do that!

      Nadine Sample

      On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 1:07 PM, Ben Tupper <tuppben@...> wrote:
      Here is my first attempt at that:  Psalm 19, attached here in MS Word format.

      The Psalm is not entirely consistent in the statement/response form of couplets.  Some lines seem to want to stand out differently.  So I have set them alone, with the idea that the congregation and leader could speak those in unison for particular emphasis.  I think that makes for a nice variety of style to increase the impact.

      I'd be interested to know the results if anyone tried to do this in a real church setting.

      Ben Tupper

      At 03:50 AM 6/7/2014, you wrote:
      I like that. I’ve gone to many church services where the only congregational role was to kneel or stand, sing the opening and closing hymns, and put money in the offering.
      Responsive reading is great, although my problem with responsive reading is the disturbing mix of the mike and natural voices for the congregational part of the reading.
      Instead of responsive reading by the congregation, we end up with a speaker doing the reading through a mike at the pulpit with the congregation following along.
      Leave the mike off and let the congregation rumble through the reading with the leader(s) speaking in natural tones. Yes, an individual might make a mistake, but it is always covered by the other readers. And nothing is more reverent and inspiring than the sound of natural human voices uniting in speech (or music) without electronic amplification. I’m sure that was one of the beautiful aspects of antiphonal readings in the Old Testament and equally sure we won’t use microphones in heaven!
      By the way, I’ve seen microphones stuffed inside pianos so they’ll play louder. The tinny sound of a piano with microphone amplification can never be completely eliminated, as far as I can tell. I’m sure that acoustics can be managed with minimal electric current, but I suppose it’s easier to flip the switch and amplify.
      Joyce Griffith