Some non-SSEA Egypt-related events

  • SSEAToronto
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2013

       *ON SATURDAY, JUNE 22, AT 2:30P.M., BROOKE DUFTON WILL PERFORM THE VOCAL MUSIC OF RENOWNED CANADIAN COMPOSER R. MURRAY SCHAFER.

         Included in the repertoire will be an excerpt from "Ra," an opera based on ancient Egyptian mortuary texts.  Prof. Mary-Ann Pouls Wegner of the Department of Near & Middle Eastern Civilizations at the University of Toronto has worked closely with the soloist on the pronunciation and meaning of the ancient texts.

       Brooke is joined for this event by a talented group of guest artists:  harpist Emily Belvedere, pianist Narmina Afandiyeva, trumpeter Ben Promane,  soprano Peg Evans, and percussionists Nathan Petitpas, Etienne Levesque,  and Jonathan Smith.

       Concert will be held on June 22 at 2:30 pm, at Walter Hall(lower level), Faculty of Music (North), Edward Johnson Building, 80 Queens Park, Toronto, ON (accessible from the Museum subway stop) Free Admission!

         This concert displays the breadth, lyricism, and diversity of Schafer's  vocal writing, drawing on repertoire from across the whole of his prolific  five-decade career. The program includes exquisite concert works for voice with piano and with harp, as well as selections from his environmental music and his acclaimed Patria cycle.

       Press release for Brooke Dufton:
       Praised for her 'strong presence' (Peterborough Examiner) and 'beautiful  tone and control' (The Chronicle-Herald, Halifax), Brooke has sung for  organizations such as Soundstreams, The Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony, The  Scotia Festival of Music, Stratford Summer Music, Opera Nova Scotia,  Jeunesses Musicales Canada, and L'Orchestre Symphonique de Montreal, and  she has been recorded and interviewed by the CBC and CMC.  Her exploratory performances have been seen in highlight productions for Toronto's Harbourfront Festival, Guelph's Nuit Blanche, Peterborough's Market Hall Bright Lights  Series, and Kitchener's Open Ears Festival.

      Member Sylvia Anstey has let us know about an IMAX film now available in HD on television:

      Greetings Egyptophile friends!
      I just watched a wonderful IMAX movie on EQHD (Rogers Cable 540 at my location). It is called: "Mummies: Secrets of the Pharaohs". I don't believe I had ever seen this before.

      Monday, June 24th from Noon to 12:45 EST
      I hope you get a chance to see it!

      Very best regards,
      Sylvia