Ancient Egyptian Scarabs: Lecture in CALGARY on 7 Oct

  • the_ssea
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2011

      Ancient Egyptian Scarabs: An Overview
      Website URL: http://calgaryssea. wordpress.com/2011/09/21/ lecture-ancient-egyptian- scarabs/
      Date: 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm , 07-Oct-2011
      Cost: Meetings are Free to members, Guests $5 – Students with ID $2

      The image of a scarab beetle has come to represent an icon for ancient Egyptian civilization in modern times. Given that scarabs were produced throughout the course of pharaonic history, their development and material context can tell us a lot about an archaeological site or find. Looking at first at how the scarab beetle was integrated into the ancient Egyptian "cosmic deity" pantheon, we will then examine their artistic (and textual) development. The aim of this lecture is to provide attendees with a few rough guidelines on how to date scarabs and differentiate commemorative scarabs in museums.

      Nicholas Wernick is a Calgarian currently studying for his PhD in Egyptian Archaeology at the University of Liverpool. The main topic of his thesis is ancient Egyptian fortifications in the Late Bronze Age and what the nature of ancient Egyptian imperialism in the Levant was like during the 19th & 20th Dynasties. In addition to his PhD work, he has been published in academic journals and Ancient Egypt Magazine.

      We are moving to a new location this fall. We have booked room EDC 287 in the Education Block at the University of Calgary (Click the link for a map).