Toronto SSEA Members: Sign up tomorrow for "To Pray or Not to Pray" course

  • SocietyfortheStudyof
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2011

      The Toronto Chapter of The SSEA presents a 4-Lecture course:

      TO PRAY OR NOT TO PRAY? Religious Customs of Ancient Egypt

      Ritual and religion were integral components of ancient Egyptian culture and their practices manifested in various ways, which ranged from private cultic worship to state sponsored temple processions. In these four weeks, the class will look at the ways in which the ancient Egyptians participated in religious customs.

      WEEK 1: "Hi ho hi ho It's Off to Work We Go: Temple Staff"

      In the first week, we will examine the roles of the priests and priestesses, such as the hem-netjer and wab priests, who maintained the deities and temples. This discussion will include a look at the typical work schedule of temple staff and the allocation of priestly duties.  The function of the temple and its symbolic association with ancient Egyptian creation myths will also be explored.

      WEEK 2: "Time to Party!: Festivals"

      In the second week, we will explore the major festivals and processional routes of ancient Egyptian ritual landscapes.  Specifically, the sites of Abydos and Thebes will be examined as ancient ceremonial centers.

      WEEK 3: "House of the Rising Sun: Solar Religion"

      In the third session, the class will focus on solar religion. The Sun Temples of Dynasty 5, as well as the development of the worship of the Aten will be the two main topics of discussion.

      WEEK 4: "Leave Me Alone!: Private Worship"

      During the final week, we will look at private worship and personal piety in ancient Egypt, mainly focusing on evidence from the New Kingdom and later periods, especially the material from Deir el-Medina. One of the topics discussed will be the use of oracles in private practice. We will also explore the myth of Horus and Seth where the execration rituals got their start.

      COURSE INSTRUCTORS: Amber Hutchinson & Sarah Schellinger (doctoral candidates in Egyptology, U of Toronto)

      Dates: April 20, April 27, May 4, May 11            Time: 7pm to 8:30pm    Location:   4 Bancroft Ave.

      Price:    $100 SSEA Members; $125 for non-members; $50 Students; $35 *per lecture* fee may be available

      Contact toronto@... or phone 647-520-4339 for more information & room details.

      To register:    Send a cheque payable to "SSEA Toronto Chapter"  to The SSEA,  Attn.: Toronto Treasurer,  P. O. Box 578, Postal Station P,  Toronto, Ontario M5S 2T1 or hand it in person to the Chapter President or Treasurer at any SSEA Toronto event.  (The next event is tomorrow, April 8th!Please write "To Pray Or Not To Pray" in the memo line of the cheque.