Find out why THE GREEKS RULE! next Wednesday, July 16th

  • The Society for the Study of Egyptian Ant
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2008

      The Greeks Rule! How the Greeks Shaped Our Perception of Ancient Egypt
      Our understanding of ancient Egypt has been shaped by a framework provided by such ancient Greek sources as Manetho, Plutarch, Diodorus and Herodotus. Steven B. Shubert has worked on archaeological digs in both Egypt and Greece and has studied both the ancient Egyptian and ancient Greek languages. In this lecture he will explore how and why much of our Egyptological vocabulary is derived from the work of ancient Greek historians. Come and examine the Greek origins of the Dynastic system, the names of gods, kings, cities, and many other terms integral to the study of Egyptology.
      The third in the Toronto Chapter's new Summer Series of popular lectures free to members of The SSEA. A $5 fee is requested from non-members. Light refreshments will be served.

      About The Speaker:
      Dr. Shubert has doctorates in both Egyptology and Libary & Information Sciences. He also has had many years of experience digging in Egypt at both East Karnak and Mendes and is the author of numerous articles. Steven is currently on the Executive of the Toronto Chapter of the SSEA as a Lecture Series Coordinator and is a past Treasurer and Trustee of the Society.